WASHINGTON, D.C. — Marc Perrone, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) International Union, issued the following statement regarding the Trump Administration’s termination of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA):
“President Trump’s decision to end DACA is cold-hearted, cruel, and a betrayal of what America stands for.
“Hundreds of thousands of young, hard-working men and women who love America will now be needlessly punished for childhood circumstances. These young people have grown up in this country, passed background checks, pay taxes, go to school, and have worked hard to build a better America. They have earned and deserve fair treatment, but instead their lives are being thrown into chaos with this announcement.
“President Trump’s decision will not make America great again; rather, it will tear families apart, damage communities, and further fuel a terrible divide that is already hurting the nation we all love.
“On behalf of the 1.3 million members of our union family, we urge all Members of Congress to immediately do what is right and protect these Dreamers.”
- Terminating DACA needlessly removes 800,000 hard-working men and women from our workforce.
- It will cost $433.4 billion in GDP loss over a decade.
- It will cost employers $3.4 billion in unnecessary turnover costs.
- Contributions to Medicare and Social Security will be cut by $24.6 billion over a decade.
- Some 6% of DACA recipients have launched businesses that employ American citizens.
- Almost 55% of DACA recipients have purchased a vehicle, and more than one in ten have purchased their first home.
- Source: ILRC, The Economic Cost of Ending DACA